Hi All,
Today, I’m going to learn about how to breastfeed, anticipated
difficulties, and how to deal with such difficulties. Breastfeeding is the one
I will face shortly after child birth, but I heard that it’s NEVER easy. I have
a couple of friends of mine who failed to breastfeed for many reasons. I’d like
to breastfeed as much as I can. 6 months would be great as the
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends. But I’m not sure if it will
be possible because I will attend all classes required next semester. I will
purchase a set of breastfeeding pump so that my husband can nurse my baby while
I’m away.
According to the baby center, breastfeeding has a lot of
benefits.
- Breastfeeding protects your baby from a long list of illnesses.
- Breastfeeding can protect your baby from developing allergies.
- Breastfeeding may boost your child’s intelligence.
- Breastfeeding may protect your child from obesity.
- Breastfeeding may lower your baby’s risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Breastfeeding can reduce your stress level and your risk of postpartum depression.
- Breastfeeding may reduce your risk of some types of cancer.
To be honest, I can’t believe this information. It sounds
like exaggerating. As far as I know in some
European countries, there’s different argument about breastfeeding’s efficacy.
And there is a controversial documentary about breast milk in Korea. It claims
that breast milk also includes a high level of harmful substances due to polluted
environment women are exposed. However, I will try to breastfeed anyway because
I think it will be beneficial to my baby in terms of emotional attachment and
bounding.
How do I start?
I have to start to
nurse from the first time I hold my newborn in the delivery room. A small
amount of milk is fine because baby’s tummy is very tiny.
Here is the detailed
step.
1. Turn your baby's whole
body toward you, chest to chest.
2. Touch her upper lip with
your nipple.
3. When she opens her mouth
wide, pull her onto your breast, holding your breast for support.
4.
Her mouth should cover not just the nipple but as much of the
areola (the darker part surrounding it) as possible so that your nipple should
be far back in your baby's mouth.
·
Once I get started, nursing shouldn't be painful. If latch-on hurts, break the
suction (by inserting your little finger between your baby's gums and your
breast) and try again.
How often I should nurse
Eight to 12 times every 24
hours is perfect for the first three weeks.
According to the American
Academy of Pediatrics, rather than nursing according to a rigid schedule, you
should nurse your newborn whenever she shows early sign of hunger, such as increased
alertness or activity, mouthing, or rooting around for your nipple. Crying is a
late sign of hunger – ideally, you should start feeding your baby before she
starts crying.
During the first few days, you may have to gently wake
your baby to begin nursing, and she may fall asleep again mid-feeding. (To keep
her awake during feedings, you may want to unswaddle her or remove a layer of
clothing.) To make sure your baby's eating often enough, wake her up if it's
been four hours since your last nursing session.
What I should eat
- A normal healthy diet is enough.
- Most women who are breastfeeding will need about 200 to 500 calories more than moms who aren't.
- Limit your caffein consumption. No more than 300 mg per day about a 12-ounce cup of coffee.
Problems I may encounter
Some of the most common breastfeeding problems you may
encounter in the first six weeks include:
- engorgement(breasts that are excessively full and uncomfortable)
- sore nipples
- mastitis (a breast infection)
I heard above three symptoms are really painful. I should call my healthcare provider or a lactation consultant if I'm suffering from any
of the above, if I'm in pain, or if physical discomfort is getting in the
way of nursing.
I can also use this
checklist for another problems.
How long can I store breast milk?
I found two images I used in this posting from Pinterest.
As many classmates mentioned, it provides amazing sources.
I'm happy to get to know Pinterest.


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't know breastfeeding had all these benefits: developing allergies, intelligence ,protect your child from obesity. This is some amazing information. Can't wait to learn more.
ReplyDeleteYes, it sounds cool. But I'm not sure the accuracy of the information. >.<
DeleteMy friend is a lactation consultant and it is her job to educate people about breastfeeding. She has told me a lot and I find it very interesting. You can even use breastmilk to cure skin ailments, styes in your eyes and for many other topical treatments.
ReplyDeleteMany of my friends have children and breastfeeding was very difficult for most of them. For most of them it did not come naturally or quickly like they previously thought. But all of them said that the lactation consultant was super helpful and made them understand that breastfeeding takes work and that even if it is hard that the benefits are worth it.
I recommend seeing a breastfeeding consultant before the baby comes. Many of my friends said they wished they had done that before the baby comes.
Wow, you even have a friend who works as LC! It's really good to know that I can meet a consultant before the baby comes. I signed up for breastfeeding class next week, but I don't know I would meet a LC there. Thank you for all information!
DeleteI love that you are doing your own research on the topic of breastfeeding, as it is very controversial and EVERY woman is different. Even the same woman can have different experiences with different babies. With my first son it was so easy to breastfeed I had no troubles and did it for ten months until he weened himself off. With my second son I had so many troubles, blocked duct, not latching and it was so painful for the first two months. I was determined to keep going so I pushed through and my son is now a year and two months and he wont stop breastfeeding! I am a strong advocate for breastfeeding, but I do agree if the mother is not living a healthy lifestyle it can affect the milk. I am a vegetarian and eat fairly healthy and this has passed on to my kids! Hopefully it will last until they start making their own decisions regarding food :)
ReplyDeleteIt's really good to hear your experience. Seems like I have to be persistent to make it. You inspired me to have better food !
DeleteI always heard that breastfeeding is very beneficial to the baby. Was interesting to read all the facts you found - the facts about breastfeeding being tied to obesity and intelligence was new to me. Very informative!
ReplyDeleteI love Pinterest! I get so many ideas from the site: cooking, teaching healthy ideas. I have heard breastfeeding is great for mom and baby, but I think it depends on every woman because everyone is different. I have had friends that breastfeed and friends that don't and both have been very happy with their choice.
ReplyDelete