Thursday, November 17, 2016

How to manage back pain in pregnancy

Hi there,

I installed ‘Count Down Timer’ which is one of the chrome extension program we learned during the last class and I set up for my due date (Jan/8/2017).
I can't link its address on this blog, but I love it. Beautiful. How great technology is!



I hope to meet my baby as early as possible so as to have postpartum care as long as possible before the next semester starts. It is said that the average gestation is deemed to last 40 weeks but 38-42 week pregnancies are considered absolutely normal. This Christmas will be perfect time for me to deliver.



I met my OB today, and was told that the baby’s size and posture are good. And she gave me some advice as to my back pain.
There are many possible factors that cause back pain including a hormone called relaxin that makes the ligaments connecting the low back and pubic bones more flexible, which leads to tired muscles. 
It is very common for pregnant women to have back pain as the baby grows and gets heavier.

For this section, I will share a couple of home care instructions to manage back pain in pregnancy. 
Although there's nothing like a miracle, I think it's worth trying. 

  • Exercise is the most effective way to manage back pain, but avoid sports that require sudden body movements. (Walking and swimming are great activities.)
    I found a video that instructs how to stretch in order to relieve back pain during pregnancy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qed8z9xMtM

 





  • Do not stand in one place for a long time.
  • Do not wear high heels.
  • Sit in chars with good posture.
    You may easily tell which is a good posture.
  • Try sleeping on your side, preferably the left side, with a pillow or two between your legs. If you are sore after a night’s rest, your bed may be too soft. (So, I’ve lately slept on the floor.) Here are 5 steps for side sleep.






     
  • When you lift something, try bending your knees more so you can use your leg muscles rather than your back muscles. Squat down when picking up something from the floor.
  • Try to gain weight within your caregiver’s recommendations.
  • Use heat or cold pack 3 to 4 times a day for 15 minutes to help with the pain.

While I learned about back pain in pregnancy, I realized that I should have not stand in one place for long periods of time to prevent such a pain. Last Saturday, there was a protest against the president in South Korea in San Jose. I went there and were standing for about two and a half hours. After the day, my back pain started to get worse, I guess. Our president gives me not only mental stress but physical pain, thankfully.


                   



Hopefully, I will success in managing my back pain this week. Bye! 

5 comments:

  1. I am so in love with the new yoga ideas and how to lay correctly while pregnant. I can one day use this information when I have babies. I think it would help so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor girl! I know this last month can be really hard. But it will be so worth it when the baby arrives. :) My friend used this pregnancy pillow and she LOVED it!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176GYVQY/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_bPtsmJ_g201_i1/164-5361710-3706820?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=BKPBAZ5XF3H8E3VDQVV8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b3863518-d653-593c-93bc-2dc8f354ca7b&pf_rd_i=382727011

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the stretching will help ease your back pain. The last month of pregnancy is hard...but it will be over soon. Get plenty of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swimming while pregnant was so relaxing and kept my body from feeling like crap. Doing laps is good physically but also mentally because you can get lost in your thoughts and dont even realize you are helping to relieve some pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy pillows i think are a great tool to help ease pain but it is def worth it to get a better quality pillow or one tailored to your body (e.g firm, soft, down) beause every pregannt woman is different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife really loved swimming as well. Thank you for mentioning a useful chrome extension. I have found extensions very useful in personal and professional life. Best wishes as come down the home stretch.

    ReplyDelete