Thank you for visiting my blog!
![]() |
| www.babycenter.com |
It’s been 31 weeks since I got pregnant, and I feel everything is fine except
intermittent back pain.
According to baby’s development stages, my baby at
this time should measure over 16 inches long and weigh about 3 1/3 pounds. It’s
about the size of a coconut. He/she can turn his/her head from side to side,
and his/her arms, legs and body are beginning to plump up as needed fat
accumulates underneath his/her skin.
In
this section, I will explore several strategies for labor pain management which
are mostly used in natural childbirth. Natural pain-reduction techniques don’t use an
epidural to eliminate pain. Instead, this approach allows me to remain in
control of my body as much as possible, be an active participant throughout
labor which will make me feel empowered and satisfied. There are pros and cons
of each approach, but I want to try a natural, unmedicated birth for the time
being. Even if I need some interventions then, preparing for some techniques
will be of great help. The followings are summary of coping tips suggested by
the baby center.
One-to-one labor
support
Having someone at my side who's committed to giving me emotional
reassurance and helping me be as comfortable as possible can dramatically
reduce my anxiety and stress level. There are some options like doula, but I’m
not sure if I would feel comfortable with someone I do not know well. My
husband will definitely be the best supporter.
My husband and I will learn specific breathing patterns through
child birthing classes at UC Davis Health System. (We signed up for it. lol ) Breathing
skills used in yoga or meditation can help me to control pain. In addition, techniques
like progressive or controlled relaxation, in which I release tension by
zeroing in on a particular muscle, tightening it up, and then letting it go until
it's as loose as possible are very useful.
I might also use a visualization skill that is to imagine a
place that soothes me. Sometimes something special to look at like a favorite
photograph is helpful.
![]() |
| something like this? |
Positioning and movement
When I’m not medicated, I can try a variety of
positions during labor, including standing or leaning on my partner, sitting,
and kneeling – either upright or on all fours.
Some movements are comforting, too. Walking
around or rocking in a chair or on a birthing ball is a good way. Moving around
can make me feel more in control, which may ease my anxiety and pain.
During the pushing stage, an
upright position may help my baby descend, and squatting or kneeling may help
open my pelvic outlet.
Massage
and touch
Massage promotes relaxation, soothes tense
muscles, and may reduce my perception of labor pain. I found several videos
that show how to massage. I will share these with my husband.
Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy – using water to soothe and relax
the body – may help ease the discomforts of labor.
I may be able to use a tub for laboring at
Davis birthing center. (But not 100%) Immersing myself in water relieves
pressure on the body, promotes muscle relaxation, and may reduce pain, anxiety,
and the need for medication. What's more, there's evidence suggesting that it
may also decrease the length of the first stage of labor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides, the baby center
suggests acupuncture or acupressure and hypnosis. But they say there’s insufficient
evidence to judge the effectiveness of such practices. So I will just leave
them out.
I think that having trust
myself is the most important part for labor pain management. I won’t be
flustered when early labor starts, and I’m going to try everything I learned
through this section. A friend of mine who did natural childbirth told me that daily
perineal massage may increase
the area’s ability to stretch leading to less need for an episiotomy and fewer
natural tears. It sounds little awkward though, I looked up some information
about that. I can either try the technique myself or ask my husband for help, but
experts say, perineal massage isn’t for everyone and it may not help in every
case. Therefore, I need to talk about it with my midwife or doctor around 34 weeks.



Awe, this is so amazing to learn about so when I have children. I am sorry about your back pain, but it will be all worth it in the end. You're going to have a happy healthy baby soon. Yes, I truly believe visualizations are great to have also yoga to keep the mind strong through this process. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAh-Young,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. I am so excited for you and your husband. I am happy to hear he will be attending classes with you! I do not have any children myself, however, I have thought about natural birth vs. medicated birth as well. Having a midwife and trying a water birth is definitely something that as the time comes, I want to look more in to.
Happy to hear about all the resources you've found. My friend had a water birth with two of her children and she really loved it. I'm sure whatever you choose will be what's best for you. :)
ReplyDeleteWow! It is wonderful how much research and thought you are putting into all your options for childbirth. I think it is interesting that you found research on acupuncture for childbirth. I wonder if if helps. I have used acupuncture for other types of pain and it is amazing.
ReplyDeleteWow you are just so brave about this. I am so excited for you to be lucky enough to bring life to this world. You are amazing taking on such a large task. You sound prepared and ready to take on the hurdle of child birth.
ReplyDeleteI love that you are researching different methods and making the choice based on your own interpretations of the different options available to you. Sometimes (alot) pregnant women get pressured into methods they are not fully comfortable with. Knowledge is power !
ReplyDeleteInteresting facts! My cousin's wife chose water birth and she highly recommends it. It eases pain and provides more oxygen for the baby.
ReplyDelete