Thursday, December 8, 2016

Newborn Care

YAY!  My stroller and car seat arrived! I also ordered a new vacuum and warm mat that uses Korean traditional heating system. I can’t wait to get them!




This will be my last official posting. Although it was not my voluntary work at first, managing this blog has been really helpful for my preparation for childbirth. I was able to feel less anxious while I did research every week, and all your comments made me feel comfortable and confident. I appreciate that. J
As I prepared this posting, I found out that this last part of my journey cannot be done at once. There are too many things to know to take care of a newborn. I can’t cover all issues at this posting, so I will address newborn burps, pee/poop, crying, sleep and bathing today.

Newborn burps

Some newborns need to be burped frequently, while others burp on their own and need very little assistance. If my baby is fussy or uncomfortable during or after a feeding, that's a cue to burp her.
I can also try burping your baby when I switch breasts, after every 2 or 3 ounces, every 10 to 15 minutes of feeding, or when my baby's finished eating. I should find a pattern that works for my little one.

Burping positions to try

A gentle circular motion or soft pats will bring up the bubbles. 







Newborn pee and poop

A breastfed newborn will have at least five wet diapers a day. A formula-fed baby may have even more than that – up to ten per day.
There's a large range for what's a "normal" number of bowel movements, too. Breastfed babies tend to poop more than formula-fed ones, since formula takes a bit longer to digest. But breastfed babies vary widely, going as seldom as once every four or more days to as often as once per feeding. Formula-fed babies typically poop a few times a day, but it can range from one poop every other day to several poops per day.
I need to keep track of my baby’s pee and poop schedule. I found a free format like this.

Poops vary in color so I don’t need to worry about its color, but if my baby’s stool contains whitish mucus or streaks or flecks of red, I have to contact my doctor. Red is a sign of blood in the stool.
Normal poop consistency also ranges from very soft to watery, with breastfed babies having looser poop. This can easily be confused with diarrhea. To make sure if it is normal or not, I need to keep an eye out for a change from my baby's usual pattern or consistency.

How to change a baby’s diaper


Newborn crying

I found a very fun article written for new dads. The author says, “It may seem like your baby is crying as part of some malevolent plot to melt your brain.” But as you know, babies do not have any way to communicate besides crying. The author suggests a mental checklist of what could be bothering my baby.

  1. Dirty diaper? – Change it.
  2. Needs to burp? – Try burping as mentioned above.
  3. Gas? - Try laying your baby on her back and then moving her legs and hips up and down like she’s riding a bicycle. Or gently massage her tummy in a circle.
  4. Physical discomfort? (Is the baby too hot or could? Is there something on her that’s too tight or scratch?)
  5. Lonely?
  6. Overstimulated? - Take the baby somewhere quiet to decompress.
  7. Hungry? – Feed her.
  8. Tired? – Time for a nap.
  9. Fever? - A normal body temperature for a healthy baby is between 97 and 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit. If my baby's rectal temperature is 100.4 degrees or higher, he has a fever. For babies under 3 months, fever is urgent, so I have to call my baby’s doctor immediately. If medical advice is unavailable, I have go to the emergency room.

Crying Remedies  

If I go through the checklist, and none of the fixes stop my baby’s crying, I may have a case of undiagnosed crankiness. Here are some potential soothers.

  • Stick a pacifier in it.
  • Put the baby in a motorized swing.
  • Swaddle.
  • Run the vacuum.
  • Take her for a drive.


Newborn sleep

Luckily, newborns have the amazing ability to fall asleep pretty much anywhere. My newborn will sleep about 16 to 18 hours total each day. I need to track where and when the baby sleeps to identify patterns.
No matter when or where my baby sleeps, keep in mind that always put her on her back and remove all loose blankets, bumpers, pillows, and toys to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
Babies love being swaddled especially when they sleep because being snugly wrapped up mimics the environment they are used to and keeps a reflexive jerk of an arm or leg from waking them up. 

How to swaddle my baby


Newborn bathing

While my baby’s umbilical cord stump is still hanging on, it should not be immersed in water. Sponge baths are enough to keep her clean for the first week or two. Too much bathing could dry out my baby’s skin.
Use a warm, damp washcloth or unscented wipes to gently wipe around neck folds and other areas where breast milk, formula or moisture might accumulate, finishing with the genitals. If I notice any redness or irritation in the diaper area, a swipe of diaper cream or petroleum jelly should squelch it.

How to Give a Newborn a Sponge Bath | CloudMom


As I mentioned at first, there are too many things to know to take care of a little one. It seems overwhelming, obviously. But now that I know there are many ways to get enough information, I feel more comfortable than before. Thank you very much for being together on this journey! 



6 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much knowledge needs to be learned to be able to care for a baby. I was talking to my mom about babies and we mentioned the hardest part about being a mom was the other people making her feel inadequate like she wasn't doing a good enough job. I think as long as you try your hardest you will be amazing. I am glad this blog has helped you organize your thoughts and made you feel better prepared for your incoming prince or princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacquelyn! I entirely love what your mom and you talked about being a mom. I will remember this message.
      But it's weird. This posting is supposed to come up this Thursday. Actually this is the last posting, and I set up the time it appears. >.<

      Delete
  2. You officially passed the amount of research I ever did for our kids. Also, I amazes me how much parenting is about poop. Not really what people tell when your expecting but its true. Don't worry about the timed post not working :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah-Young,

    I love your blogs. I love how informative they are and how genuine your research is. I am so excited for you and your husband, and this journey you are on. BTW- I love the color of your stroller :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that writing this blog allowed you to feel a little less stressed. I can't wait to meet the baby and hope you have a quick and safe delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my- there is so much to babies :) you did a great job with your blog in covering all the important facts related to birth, newborns, and caring for the baby. Once the baby comes, I am sure there will be even more to learn! Wish you all the best and keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete